Obtaining a Marriage License

Auditor Closed
*click above for additional details

Apply Online

Apply online for your marriage license
Once you submit your marriage license application you will receive an email with instructions for completing the application process. Both applicants need to come to the Whatcom County Auditor's Office with photo ID to pay for the marriage license.

Waiting Period

The 3-day waiting period begins the day you sign the marriage application and pay the marriage license fee. You may not get married during this waiting period. The marriage license is valid for 60 days following the 3-day waiting period.


  • Both applicants must be 18 years of age or older and currently unmarried.
  • Applicants who are 17 years of age or under must have written consent by one parent or legal guardian. The consent must be sworn to and signed before a notary public or deputy auditor. Applicants 16 years of age or under must also have written consent from a Superior Court Judge.
  • Applicants do not have to be residents of Washington State to obtain a marriage license. However, the license is only valid for marriages that are performed in Washington.
  • Proof of divorce from a previous spouse, or death of a spouse, is not required to obtain a marriage license. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure the divorce decree is final before applying for a new marriage license.


The current fee for a marriage license is $62. We accept U.S. currency, cashier's check, money order and most credit/debit cards (a convenience fee applies). Personal checks are not accepted. The marriage license is void and the fee is non-refundable if the marriage does not take place within 60 days of issue.

Applying for a Marriage License from Outside Whatcom County

A marriage license can be purchased in any county in Washington State at that county auditor's office. You do not have to live in the county where you purchase the license. Your license allows you to be married anywhere in Washington State.

Applying for a Marriage License from Out of State

If you are applying for a marriage license from outside Washington State, fill out the online marriage license application. Once you click the submit button send an email to recording@co.whatcom.wa.us  to let us know you just submitted your application from out of state. Be sure to include your name, mailing address, phone number, and marriage date in the email.  
You will receive an email from our office with further instructions.