Obtaining a Marriage License

Apply Online

You can now apply online for your marriage license. After you finish filling out the online application you will be provided with instructions on how to complete the application process. It is required that both parties be present to pickup the marriage license in our office.

Waiting Period

The 3 day waiting period begins the day you sign the application and pay the license fee. You may not get married during this waiting period. The license is valid for 60 days following the 3 day waiting period.


  • Applicants 16 years or under must have written waiver from Juvenile Court signed by a Superior Court Judge, as well as written permission of a parent or guardian. Parental or guardian permission must be sworn to and signed before a notary public or deputy auditor.
  • Applicants who are 17 years of age must have written permission by one parent or legal guardian. Such consent must be sworn to and signed before a notary public or deputy auditor.
  • Both applicants must be at least 18 years of age or older and must have photo ID as proof of your age.
  • Proof of divorce from a previous spouse, or death of a spouse, is not required to obtain a marriage license. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the final decree of divorce is filed before applying for a new marriage license.
  • The license is only valid for marriages that are performed within Washington State. Applicants do not have to be residents of the State of Washington to obtain a marriage license.
  • Witnesses are not necessary to apply for a license, but state law requires that at least 2 witnesses be present at the ceremony.


The current fee for a license is $60. The payment can be made out to Whatcom County Auditor. We accept most credit/debit cards (a convenience fee applies), U.S. currency, a cashier's check, or money order. Personal checks are not accepted. The marriage license is void and non-transferable if the marriage does not take place within 60 days of issue.

Out of State Marriage Application

If you are getting married in Whatcom County but live in another county in Washington you can apply at your local Auditor's Office. The marriage license will be valid anywhere in Washington State. If you are applying for a marriage license from out of state please fill out the online application and submit via email. Please include your name, mailing address and phone number when submitting your request.