Mercury Facts
Mercury is a naturally occurring element that conducts electricity and expands and contracts in response to changes in temperature and pressure. At room temperature, it is a liquid. These properties of mercury have led to its use in the industrial sector as well as in many consumer products. Unfortunately, mercury and its compounds can have serious effects on the health of humans and wildlife.

Mercury is highly toxic and can harm the brain, kidneys, and lungs. Unborn and young children are particularly at risk because their nervous systems are still developing.

Human exposure to mercury occurs most frequently as a result of eating mercury contaminated fish. Mercury released to the environment from products such as broken thermometers may ultimately end up in water bodies, contaminating fish and wildlife.
  1. Disposing of Mercury the Right Way

    Find out how to properly dispose of products containing mercury.

  2. Hazards of Mercury

    Get more information about the hazards of mercury.

  3. Mercury in Fish

    Learn about the hazards of mercury in fish.

  4. Mercury in Household Products

    Mercury is found in many of the everyday items we use, from light bulbs to thermostats. You can properly dispose of all of these products at the Disposal of Toxics facility.