How can I appeal the assessed value of my property?

The only way to appeal an Assessor’s valuation of your property is by timely filing a completed appeal petition with the Whatcom County Board of Equalization. There is no fee charged for filing an appeal. The appeal petition form must be used. A letter or phone call is not acceptable as a substitute for the petition form. Please file an original plus a copy of the completed petition forms to the Board. You must submit separate petitions for each parcel. Petition forms are available from the Clerk of the Board, by phoning and requesting one at 360-778-5018, or the Assessor’s Office at 360-778-5050. You can also download a petition.

Show All Answers

1. Who is the Board of Equalization?
2. How can I appeal the assessed value of my property?
3. Who may file an appeal?
4. Where can I get an appeal form?
5. What information must I provide for a completed petition?
6. What is the deadline for filing a petition?
7. If I do not meet the appeal deadlines, can the board be reconvened to consider a late filed petition?
8. How does the assessor value my property?
9. When do I receive a "Change of Value Notice?"
10. What if I did not get a "Change of Value Notice?"
11. Should I wait until after my hearing to pay my property taxes?
12. What types of evidence should I provide?
13. What if there are no sales comparable to my property?
14. What if I don’t have time to gather all the evidence by the petition deadline?
15. Should I contact the Assessor’s Office?
16. When will I have a hearing?
17. What can I expect at the hearing?
18. May I submit additional information at the hearing?
19. How soon will I receive a decision from the Board of Equalization?
20. What if I am not satisfied with the Board of Equalization’s decision?