The Washington State Dept. of Revenue has approved the Assessor’s Office plan to transition to an Annual Real Property Revaluation program. Annually, one-sixth of the County will be inspected and all property will be statistically revalued. The current annual inspection area for revaluation is Cycle Area E, (see inspection area map). It includes portions or all of Sudden Valley, Geneva, Whatcom Falls, Puget, Sunnyland, Alabama Hill, Broadway Park, Lettered Streets, Eldridge, and Downtown Bellingham.
2012 - January 2016
The Assessor is elected to a 4-year term,
Mission: To determine and establish value of all
real and taxable personal property in county, used to distribute
Established by state constitution & laws, enforced by
Department of Revenue, the Assessor´s Office:
- Appraises and revalues all real property once every
- Maintains inventory, description, ownership, sales and
mapping for all property.
- Publishes an annual
tax booklet: the Statement of Assessed Valuations,
Tax Rates and Taxes Levied Within the Various Taxing
Districts of Whatcom County.
- Provides information, education and assistance: see Tax Guides
- Provides public computer access to assessment data,
also now available on the Internet through the Real Property Search.
- Allocates value to taxing districts, calculates levy
rates and certifies tax roll to Treasurer.
- Administers and provides information for tax exemptions:
- Prepares defenses of valuations for Board
of Equalization, State
Board of Tax Appeals and courts