The Fire Marshal’s Office issues several different construction permits for fire related systems. To apply for a fire system construction permit you need to fill out a fire system application form and submit the needed documents for review. No fees need to be included with the application. Fees will be collected when the permit is ready to issue. Documents may be delivered in person to the permit center or mailed to us at:
Whatcom County Fire Marshal’s Office
5280 Northwest Rd.
Bellingham, WA 98226
In addition to the completed application include the following for each type of permit:
- Two sets of plans stamped by a Washington Licensed Sprinkler designer
- Two sets of cut sheets
- Two sets of hydraulic calculations
Underground Fire Lines
- Two sets of plans showing the underground lines (including FDC lines)
- A copy of the contractor’s Underground certificate.
Fire Alarm Systems
- Two sets of plans showing all devices and panels
- Two sets of specifications on devices and panels
- Two sets of battery calculations
Hood Suppression Systems
- Two sets of drawings showing appliances and nozzle array
- Two sets of specifications on suppression system
Fire Flow Systems
- Two sets of drawings showing layout of pump, lines, and hydrant.
- Two sets of specifications for the pump system.
- Two copies of the hydraulic calculations for system.
Underground Storage Tanks
- Two copies of site plan that show tank location and any structures.
- A copy of the tank removal contractor’s license.
Security Gates (Residential and Commercial)
- Two copies of site plan showing gate location along driveway.
- Two copies of gate specifications showing width, height, and any access controls.
- Two copies of cut sheets for gate controls and emergency vehicle access device (Opticom™, key box with switch inside, direct key switch, etc.).