Administrative Use Permit


An Administrative Use Permit is required for uses which are not normally permitted in a given zoning designation, but which may be approved at the discretion of the zoning administrator. Common Administrative Use Permits include, but are not limited to, accessory apartment, temporary second dwelling units, cottage industries and mini-day care homes.


The process includes submittal of an Administrative Approval Application (PDF), including appropriate fees, to Planning and Development Services (PDS).

PDS staff will then route the application to members of the Technical Review Committee including Critical Areas, Plans Examiner, Public Works, and Fire Marshal’s Office and a Notice of Application will be sent to property owners within 300 or 1,000 feet.

Staff will then either issue approval, a request for more information or a denial of the application. Once approved the applicant can then apply for building permits associated with the administrative approval.