Tours will begin again Fall of 2020
*Open House/Tours may be cancelled due to facility rental
|The Roeder Home was completed in 1910 by Victor Roeder, the son of Henry Roeder, who was one of the first non-native settlers in Whatcom County. It took five years for Victor Roeder to build his home. He used rock from the Chuckanut stone quarry for the front and rear entryways, and shipped in oak for the main floor, stairway, and stairway banisters.
The Roeder Home was an ultra-modern home for its time. A wood burning furnace made from a Great Northern railway boiler heated the home. A central vacuum system was installed which, with some updates, is still in use today. The home was equipped both for electricity and gas and also included five fireplaces. Added features such as the beautiful brass light fixtures, some with Steuben glass shades, are still in use today.
The home was given to Whatcom County Parks & Recreation in 1971 by Mrs. Donald Keyes. For more information visit the National Register of Historic Places Nomination.