Authority and Purpose
Per RCW 41.26 Whatcom County administers the Whatcom County Law Enforcement Officers’ and Firefighters’ Plan (LEOFF) 1 Disability Board. This board has jurisdiction over the police and fire agencies in Whatcom County, excluding the City of Bellingham Police and Fire Departments.
The Leoff Board reviews and approves all eligible disability and medical claims submitted by Leoff 1 members. The Rules and Procedures that govern their actions follow State Retirement System laws:
Leoff 1 Rules, Policies & Procedures
The Whatcom County Leoff Board is made up of:
- One elected representative of the LEOFF 1 law enforcement officers from agencies under the board’s jurisdiction
- One elected fire fighter from agencies under the board’s jurisdiction
- One appointed Whatcom County councilmember
- One representative appointed by the mayors of the small cities within Whatcom County
- One member-at-large appointed by the board
- 9:00 a.m.
- Second Wednesday of each month
- Whatcom County Human Resources Conference Room, County Courthouse
If there are no agenda items or a quorum is not available, the meeting may be canceled. Please contact the Leoff Board Clerk in advance if you plan to attend a meeting.
Leoff Members' Claim Forms
Download a claim form here:
Medical Claim Form Dental Claim Form
For other forms, contact the Leoff Board Clerk.
For information regarding the Leoff retiree medical insurance benefits, see the Human Resources Benefits page, here.