E Smith Rd & Hannegan Rd Intersection Improvements
The intersection of E. Smith Road and Hannegan Road experiences significant congestion during peak hours. Whatcom County Public Works plans to make improvements to the intersection that will enhance multi-modal safety and improve traffic flow through the intersection. The project will include the following components:
- Rebuild the intersection with a new multi-lane roundabout.
- Install stormwater conveyance, treatment, and detention.
- Relocate various utilities impacted by the project.
The improvements will provide several benefits:
- Improve multi-modal safety by reducing conflict points between various roadway users.
- Provide curb-separated pedestrian and bicyclist facilities.
- Improve traffic flow through the intersection while ensuring reduced speeds at the intersection.
- Improved water quality due to the addition of stormwater treatment and detention.
Planning Phase (2017-2018)
- Topographic Survey
- Site Reconnaissance
- Preliminary Engineering
- Alternatives Analysis
- Community Engagement
Design Phase (2018-2023)
- Intersection Design
- Right-of-Way Acquisition
- Community Engagement
Construction Phase (2023-2025)
- Advertise for Bids
- Award Contract
- Construct Improvements
Whatcom County Public Works has completed the design of the multi-lane roundabout with our consultant, Transpo Group. The project is currently planned to be advertised for bids beginning on Nov. 1, 2023 with bids being opened on Dec. 5, 2023. Read on...
In the weeks and months ahead you may see Public Works staff and consultants on-site gathering additional information about the location that will assist in the design. Construction is currently planned for the summer of 2021. Read on...
Whatcom County Public Works has started the design of a multi-lane roundabout improvement for the intersection. Read on...
Using the Notify Me system, you can sign up to get "News Flash' notifications by text or email whenever we have project updates to share.
How to sign up to receive email and/or text notifications:
- Go to the Notify Me page on our website.
- Type in your email address and phone number under the ‘Your Profile Information’ section at the top of the page.
- Scroll down to the News Flash section, and find the News Flash labeled Public Works – E Smith Rd & Hannegan Rd Intersection Improvements.
- Click on the envelope icon and/or the phone icon, depending on your preferences. The envelope icon will send you emails, and the phone icon will send you text messages.
- Finally, you will get an email or text confirmation from Civic Plus (depending on which icon you click in Step 4). Click the link to confirm your subscription.
- Schedule: Construction anticipated summer 2024
- Construction Contractor: TBD
- Construction Costs: TBD