What is a Special Event?
Any event doing any of the following is considered a special event:
- Organized activities or events open to the public
- Requires services or facilities not normally available for reservation
- May disrupt or interfere with the public's regular use of the park or facility
- Any activities where an admission fee is charged, products or services are sold, donations or funds are solicited
- Commercial activities, including individuals, groups, or businesses, who:
- Charge a monetary admission or class fee
- Sell tickets, food, or other items
- Solicit funds or donations
- Offer other for-profit activities
- Promote a commercial business.
For detailed information regarding all aspects of holding a Special Event, download the Special Event Instructional Packet and Application:
Special Event Permit Instructions & Application (PDF)
*Complete Special Event Applications must be submitted at least 90 days prior to the event
A complete application must include:
- Special Event Application
- $100 non-refundable application fee
- Plan of Operation
- Security & Emergency Management Plan
- Detailed Site Map
- Written COVID-19 Safety Plan
Special Event Fees
Fees for special events are assessed according to the Unified Fee Schedule and based on event activities, location and staff time required. During the review of your complete, submitted application, Whatcom County Parks can provide an estimate of fees.