Special Events - Other Information

Any event may require additional permits, approvals or services from other government agencies or County Departments. In helping you plan for your event here is some other information:

  • Whatcom County Code 5.40 requires all outdoor events with music with an anticipated attendance of 1,000 or more people to have a valid county permit. RCW 70.108
  • Any event serving or vending food is required to have a permit from the Whatcom County Health Department.

  • Events serving or selling alcohol will need to apply for a Liquor License at least 90 days prior to the event through the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board. 

  • Events with anticipated attendance over 1,000 people per day may need event review and permits from the Fire Marshal, Sheriff, local City or Police.

  • Events that use the right of way or require a road closure will need an enroachment permit from Public Works. 

  • Whatcom County Parks & Recreation requires vendors and organizers to remove all trash.  Washington State law requires vendors and organizers for festivals and special events to provide recycling collection containers for cans and bottles. RCW 70.93.093

  • Event organizers are responsible for providing portable toilets based on attendance
    • 50 people =       2 toilets
    • 51 to 100     =    3
    • 101 to 250   =    4
    • 251 to 500   =    8
    • 501 to 1000 =  12
    • 101 to 3000 =  16
  • Whatcom County Parks and Recreation only permits events on Whatcom County Park lands.  If your event crosses onto other agency or private land it is the responsibility of the event organizer to obtain required permits. All permits must be submitted to Whatcom County Parks & Recreation before the final permit is approved.