The committee will advise the Whatcom County Council on issues, including regulations and policies that could impact local businesses, industry, or economic development. The committee will report directly to the County Council as necessary to carry out the following functions: review and provide recommendations on comprehensive plans, regulations, economic development efforts, and on proposals which directly impact business and economic conditions in Whatcom County.
The committee will assist the County and provide recommendations on efforts to improve business conditions, environment and infrastructure. It will develop recommendations for comprehensive economic development efforts of Associate Development Organizations (ADOs) and other issues impacting business in Whatcom County. The committee will also develop recommendations and strategies for ensuring the county applies a client-focused approach to support businesses with regulations, permitting, and planning.
- Meetings are generally held monthly, 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., date and location varies. Specific meeting information is available on the Port of Bellingham's website for the Whatcom County Business and Commerce Committee.
- Meetings are open to the public, and the public is welcome to attend. Community members may provide public comment on issues related to regulations and policies that impact business and commerce in Whatcom County.
- If you would like to be added to the committee email list and receive monthly meeting agendas and minutes, please email the Port of Bellingham with your request.
The committee has 20 members appointed by the County Council and represent various businesses and industries.
Thirteen of the 20 total members are voting positions:
The remaining seven positions are non-voting:
- Russell Tewksbury, Internet technology
- Clark Campbell, Recreation
- Chris Trout, Manufacturing
- Dana Wilson, Marine Trades
- Casey Diggs, Retail
- Paul Burrill, Food Processing
- Pete Dawson, Commercial real estate
- Brad Rader, Agriculture
- Pamela Brady, Energy industry
- Debbie Ahl, Health care industry
- Ryan Allsop, other for-profit, Committee Vice-Chair
- Troy Muljat, other for-profit
- Sarah Rothenbuhler, other for-profit, Committee Chair
- CJ Seitz, Higher education
- Barry Robinson, Higher Education
- Kathy Kershner, County Councilmember
- Satpal Sidhu, Whatcom County Executive
- Seth Fleetwood, Bellingham Mayor
- Rob Fix, Port of Bellingham Executive Director
- Jori Burnett, Small cities representative, designated by the Small Cities Caucus
- 4 year terms, 2 term limit, 1 year separation after 2 terms until eligible to reapply