Tax Statement Information

Tax statements are typically mailed out in mid-February each year. Current year first half taxes are due by April 30. Second half taxes are due by October 31. If the tax amount is less than $50, the entire amount is due April 30. If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or Holiday, then payment will be accepted the next business day.

Paying Your Property Taxes

Please visit our Property Tax Payment Center page to see the various ways we have set up for you to pay your taxes.

Interest & Penalty

If the first half taxes are not paid by April 30, the entire tax becomes delinquent. Interest and penalty on delinquent first half taxes is calculated on the entire year's taxes. Second half taxes become delinquent after October 31.

  • Interest is 1% per month on the full amount due
  • 1st-Half Penalty is 3% on amount unpaid on June 1
  • 2nd-Half Penalty is 8% on amount unpaid on December 1

Interest and penalty rates are set by law (RCW 84.56.020). Payments made without the appropriate interest and penalty will be returned for the correct amount. There is no "good cause" statute that allows the waiving of interest and penalties except in the circumstance of the county making an error when the tax account originated (the source document for proof is the real estate tax affidavit), or in case of hardship caused by death of the taxpayer´s spouse, or taxpayer´s parent-owned property, if the Treasurer is notified within sixty (60) days of the tax due date (copy of death certificate required). (RCW 84.56.025)

When You Don't Have a Statement

Failure to receive a tax statement does not relieve you of the responsibility for your tax payments. The fact that you did not receive a statement is not grounds for a waiver of interest and penalties. Contact the Treasurer's Office for replacement statements or tax amounts due. Or, view your property information online.

Paying Taxes Under Protest

Taxpayers are required to take the following actions at the time you pay the property tax in order to petition your case with the Superior Court: (1) present a separate written protest to the County Treasurer at the time of payment of the tax; and (2) list in writing all the reasons why you feel the tax is unlawful or unfair. You may also file a petition contesting your valuation with the County Board of Equalization. For additional information regarding appealing your property valuation to the Board of Equalization, please see Appealing Your Property Tax.

The County Treasurer cannot provide you with any form of legal advice. The responsibilities of the Treasurer are limited to accepting the petition and notifying the impacted taxing districts. You may want to consult an attorney before submitting your letter of protest. The law has very strict requirements and you may jeopardize your case if the letter of protest is incomplete.