Food Worker Card

All food workers who serve unpackaged food or beverages must have a valid Washington State Food Worker Card. To get a card, take the online food safety training course, pass the test, and pay a $10 fee. CAUTION: A FOOD WORKER CARD MUST BE ISSUED AT Other websites (usually .com sites) do not issue valid Washington Food Worker cards, but they will take your $10.00.

  • Food worker cards issued by another state are not valid in Washington.
  • Washington State Food Worker Cards are valid anywhere in Washington.
  • If you are getting a Food Worker Card for the first time, it is valid for 2 years. Renewed cards are valid for 3 years if renewed before your card expires (60 days or less before it expires).
  • You can pay the $10 fee online by credit or debit card.
  • You don’t need any additional documentation to complete the food safety course and get your Food Worker Card.
  • Start the online course.

Getting your Food Worker Card

To get a Food Worker Card, you must:

  1. Take the Washington State Food Worker Course. 
    • Take the course online.
    • This is the only approved website for training and testing in Washington.
    • You can also review a Food Worker Manual to help you study.
    • The training course and test are offered in Cambodian, Cantonese, Closed caption, English, Korean, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
  2. Pass the test. 
    • Take the test. You will be directed to the test once you complete the training course.
  3. Pay the $10 fee.
    • You can pay the fee online with a credit card or debit card.
  4. Print your card. 
    • Keep your signed Food Worker Card or a copy of it with you at work so that it can be checked during a food safety inspection.

Additional Food Safety Training

You have the choice to complete additional food safety training from a Washington State-approved training course. This training is optional and offers some benefits:

  • Provides advanced food safety knowledge for manager-level training and certification.
  • Helps you comply with upcoming food code requirements for Certified Food Protection Managers.
  • Allows you to get a Food Worker Card that is valid for 5 years when you complete the training before your Food Worker Card expires.
  • Includes allergen training.

You can get more information about additional food safety training, including a list of approved training courses, from the Washington State Department of Health.

Additional Information

Food Workers Cards (DOH)

View All FAQs