Victim Impact Panel
At a Victim Impact Panel (VIP) you’ll hear powerful, personal stories from people whose lives have been affected by a DUI. Community members will share the realities of what impaired driving does to individuals, families, and communities.
- You can register for a Victim Impact Panel online or in person.
- See the VIP calendar for upcoming panel dates. We host panels bi-monthly.
- To receive a certificate of attendance, you must register and pay the registration fee ($50 for adults, $20 for youth) before attending.
- All VIPs will be held in the Council Chambers at the Whatcom County Courthouse at 311 Grand Avenue in Bellingham.
What to Expect
Victim Impact Panels were created to reduce injuries and fatalities that result from DUIs. At each VIP, 2 to 3 panelists share personal stories about the emotional, social, and financial effects of impaired driving.
Guests and the general public are welcome to attend the panel free of charge. Some material may not be suitable for young children.
Interested in being a panelist?
We are always seeking new panelists. Panelists share personal stories about how a DUI impacted them, either personally or through the loss or injury of a loved one. The purpose of the panel is to show how impaired driving has affected your life, and help others personalize the consequences of impaired driving. If you have been impacted by a DUI and are interested in speaking on the panel, please contact the panel coordinator at (360) 778-6002.
Registering for VIP
You can register online, in person or by phone. Your registration is not complete without payment. The cost is $50.00 for adults 18 and older and $20.00 for youth 17 and younger.
- Online Registration: Fill out our online registration form and complete payment.
- When you register online, you’ll be directed to a third-party website to pay the fee by credit or debit card.
- In-person: Register in person at our office at 509 Girard Street, Monday – Friday between 8:30am and 4:30pm, except holidays.
- We accept cash, debit card, or credit card when you register in person. You must also pay a small convenience fee for debit or credit card payments..
We provide free language interpretation services for VIP. If you’d like interpretation, call us at (360) 778-6002 a week before the panel to request the service.
Contact us no later than 4pm the day of the panel if you need to reschedule or receive a refund of your registration fee. You cannot receive a refund or reschedule after the panel. We can reschedule or refund if:
- You need to reschedule for a date other than the one you registered for.
- Your court order to attend is dropped.
- You attend a panel in a different county.
Certificate of Attendance
To receive an attendance certificate, you must pay and register before attending.
- The deadline for online registration and payment is 11:59pm the day before the panel.
- The deadline for in-person or phone registration and payment is 4pm the day of the panel.
- You must bring your photo ID to the panel.
You will receive your attendance certificate after you attend the panel. It will be your responsibility to provide your certificate to your attorney, probation officer, or court official.