The Whatcom Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills.
CERT members are prepared to safely and efficiently assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event when professional responders are not immediately available to help.
Congratulations to CERT's newest volunteer Program Manager, Doug Bestle. See the announcement here.
Enrollment for CERT Basic Training is now open!
CERT Basic Training, Ferndale
April 5 – May 24, 2023
8 Class Meetings of 3 hours
6:00 – 9:00pm Wednesdays
Ferndale Police Department
2220 Main Street, Ferndale
Google map link: https://goo.gl/maps/EKt17aSqwc82
Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT) training enables ordinary citizens to safely act as first responders in the event of a disaster. In the basic training course, we deliver 24 hours of instruction that are a combination of classroom study and hands-on exercises. The course concludes with a simulated disaster in which the students demonstrate their skills with live victims. The topics covered in the course include:
- Session 1: Disaster Preparedness, CERT Organization
- Session 2: Fire Safety, Fire Suppression, Utility Controls
- Session 3: Disaster Medical Operations, Part 1 (Triage, Life Saving Interventions)
- Session 4: Light Search & Rescue Operations
- Session 5: Disaster Medical Operations, Part 2 (Public Health & Hygiene, Head to Toe Assessment, Basic Treatments)
- Session 6: Disaster Psychology, Terrorism
- Session 7: Tabletop Exercise & Final Exam
- Session 8: Final Exercise (Simulated Disaster Response)
To enroll in either of the courses above, simply reply to this email. The basic training course usually fills up quickly (within 24-48 hours) and we limit enrollment to each course at 24. We suggest that you confirm your enrollment ASAP. The course fee is $50.00 for all 8 sessions and can be paid on the first class session by either cash or check. Course fee discounts are available for cases of financial hardship. We are unable to accept payment by credit or debit card.
Please provide a contact phone number in your response.
CONTACT: Whatcom CERT via [email protected] to enroll.