The Committee provides review and recommendations to the Whatcom County Council and Executive on issues that affect the ongoing operations and infrastructure of ferry service to Lummi Island. Review includes: proposed changes to ferry operations and fares; an annual review of the ferry fund; demands of and improvements to ferry services; and ferry replacement options. The Committee also provides a forum for those who depend upon Lummi Island ferry service to voice their ideas and concerns about the ferry service.
The Whatcom County Ferry Advisory Committee (WCFAC) has 7 members appointed by the County Council:
The committee function is solely to advise the county council or the executive on the following functions:
1. Review and provide recommendations on proposed changes to ferry operations and fares; and
2. Review at least annually ferry revenue and expenditures, ferry fund balance, and actual versus targeted fare return; and
3. Assist the county in collecting information from ferry riders on actual and desired ferry services, concerns, and ideas for improved service; and
4. Analyze and develop recommendations to continue and improve the cost-effective operation of ferry service to Lummi Island; and
5. Review and make recommendations on proposed changes to