River & Flood
Prepare for and Stay Safe During a Flood
Learn what do do before, during, and after a flood by reading the 2023 Flooding in Whatcom County Newsletter. This newsletter provides important contacts and emergency preparedness and safety information. It was mailed in early fall to owners of flood prone properties.
Nooksack River Floodplain Improvements Videos
This video series gives an overview of the Floodplain Integrated Planning (FLIP) process with examples of actions being taken by our community.
Nooksack Transboundary Flood Initiative
Representatives from the State of Washington, the Province of British Columbia, local Tribes and First Nations, Whatcom County, and the City of Abbotsford have joined together to establish the Nooksack Transboundary Flood Initiative (NTFI) to better address repeated flooding events in the Nooksack and Sumas watersheds and the shared reliance on transboundary ecosystems and resources. The initiative aims to identify and pursue flood risk reduction and ecosystem restoration through:
- Research and planning
- Project review, coordination, and capital project support
- Pursuit of funding
Recent and Current Projects
View the Flood Hazard Reduction and Flood Damage Repair Projects handout to learn about recently completed and ongoing projects. The handout was updated October 2023.
Response to Floods
Whatcom County has been working with numerous partners to respond to the devastating November 2021 Nooksack River floods and take action to prepare for future floods. Follow these links to learn more.
- Flood Hazard Mitigation Assistance Grants - FEMA funding to reduce the risk of future flood damage to structures in flood-prone areas.
- Flood Recovery Information - The Whatcom County Sheriff's Office Division of Emergency Management is working with the Whatcom Long Term Recovery Group to help community members impacted by the November 2021 floods
- Critical Infrastructure Repairs - Repairs to Nooksack River levees and county roads started immediately after the November 2021 floods
- Everson Flow Split Planning - Planning is underway to reduce flood hazards in the Everson overflow corridor
- Nooksack River Side Channel Enhancement Pilot Project - Work was completed in October 2022 on this pilot project designed to encourage more flow into a side channel directly upstream of Everson
- Flood Hazard Reduction Projects - Current projects to reduce flood hazards from the Nooksack River and other high flood risk areas
- Flood Management Planning
- Update on Long Term Flood Recovery Issues - July 26, 2022 Presentation to County Council