Severe weather shelters will open for the night of November 26th to add space for people experiencing homelessness who are seeking shelter. The following shelters will be open on Tuesday, November 26:
- Fountain Community Church-Welcoming adults
- Check in is at the Lighthouse Mission located at 1013 W. Holly St.
- Doors open at 6:30.
- Garden St. United Methodist Church-Welcoming families with children under 18
- Doors open at 7 pm
- Check in is at the Opportunity Council at 1111 Cornwall Ave, from 10am-4pm. After those hours, please visit the Lighthouse Mission at 1013 W. Holly St.
- Shelter is also available at the Lighthouse Mission Ministries Drop-In Center.
Severe weather shelters open when there is an overnight low of 28 degrees Fahrenheit or lower and existing shelters are at or near capacity, other factors are taken into account such as precipitation and wind chill if needed.
The predicted low for the night of November 26th is 31 degrees with wind chill, precipitation, and near capacity limits at the Lighthouse Mission Ministries Drop-In Center.
Severe weather shelters are open based on temperature thresholds being met and a need for added capacity.
The Civic Stadium Women's Winter Shelter will open on Friday, November 29, creating additional space for people seeking shelter. This shelter will remain open nightly through February 2020.
To get up-to-date shelter information, call the Emergency Winter Shelter Hotline at (360) 788-7983 or www.whatcomcounty.us/homelessshelter.