On Thursday, Oct. 28, 2021, the Whatcom Chief had main engine issues that caused an emergency service outage. We will update this page as additional information becomes available. We hate having to take the ferry out of service, but for safety reasons this is necessary.
We deeply sympathize with everyone who is impacted by this outage. If you have concerns about this emergency outage and would like to share those with us, email your concerns to us at [email protected].
- 10/28 @3:55pm: Here is the passenger only ferry schedule: https://www.whatcomcounty.us/DocumentCenter/View/49142/ Unfortunately, we are unable to provide shuttle van service because we don't have a way to get the vans to the island.
- 10/28 @ 2:44pm: Mainland parking is available along public roadway shoulders as shown on this map: https://www.whatcomcounty.us/DocumentCenter/View/1184/
- 10/28 @ 1:49pm: A passenger ferry is being brought into service to provide transportation to and from the island. We hope to have the passenger ferry in service around 8pm tonight.
- The Whatcom Chief will be out of service for at least 24 hours, and possibly longer for emergency repair at a local Bellingham shipyard. No return to service day can be scheduled at this time.
- 10/28 @ 11:21am: The ferry is experiencing engine trouble and will be taken out of service while mechanics diagnose and troubleshoot the problem.