All land clearing and yard debris burning must be discontinued at that time and all issued burn permits are suspended.
Recreational fires will still be allowed with the landowner’s permission. Recreational fires must meet the following requirements:
- Fires must be 25’ from structures, timber, and combustible materials.
- Must only contain seasoned firewood or charcoal
- Must be contained in an enclosure no larger than 3’ X 3’ across, and must be a minimum 16” high, made of cement blocks, stones, or steel.
- Beach fires (where allowed) can be dug into an 8” deep pit, surrounded by 4” high enclosure of rocks.
- A charged garden hose or (2) 5-gallon buckets full of water to be next to the fire.
- A shovel or rake capable of stirring and extinguishing the fire to be on-site.
- Recreational fires are allowed after dark, if attended by someone 16 years or older at all times.
- Fires must be attended until out cold.
- No burning when winds exceed 7 MPH.
Violations of these burn restrictions may result in a minimum $250.00 fine. In addition, if you have a fire that escapes or needs to be extinguished by the fire department, you may be held financially responsible for fire suppression costs, as well as be criminally charged.
If your property lies within Whatcom County Fire Districts (WCFD) 5- Pt. Roberts, 11- Lummi Island, or 17- Sandy Point, you must check with those fire districts for outdoor burning restrictions and to obtain outdoor burning permits (when available).
If your property lies within, or you are visiting property that is fire protected by Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR), or a federal parks or forest agency, you must contact those organizations about outdoor burning restrictions.
If you have any questions on open burning in unincorporated Whatcom County, please contact the Whatcom County Fire Marshal’s Office at 360-778-5900 or visit our website at: http://www.whatcomcounty.us/FireMarshal. You must phone the Outdoor Burning Information Line every time you burn in Whatcom County: 360-778-5903.