Newsflash Home
The original item was published from 1/10/2023 10:46:33 AM to 1/10/2023 10:47:19 AM.


Health - Public Health News

Posted on: October 6, 2022

[ARCHIVED] North County Beaches Now Closed to Shellfish Harvesting; All Whatcom Now Under Biotoxin Closures

Unsafe levels of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) biotoxin have been detected in molluscan shellfish in northern Whatcom County waters.  To protect the public, the Washington State Department of Health (DOH) has closed all recreational harvest on all beaches in northern Whatcom County from Sandy Point north to the Canadian border including Point Roberts.  Biotoxin testing has already closed beaches in southern areas of Whatcom County. This means the entire county is now under a recreational shellfish harvesting closure. 

Shellfish sold in restaurants and retail markets have been tested before distribution and are safe to eat.

The Whatcom County Health Department will continue to monitor biotoxins in molluscan shellfish.  We will notify the public when there is a change in biotoxin levels that may affect public health. Keep in mind that biotoxin levels can change rapidly. Shellfish harvesters are advised to “Know Before You Dig”. Always check for current biotoxin and pollution closures at the DOH website: or call the DOH Biotoxin Hotline at 1-800-562-5632 before harvesting shellfish anywhere in Washington State.

Algae that contain marine biotoxins cannot be seen and must be detected by laboratory testing. During a biotoxin event, mussels and varnish clams usually contain the highest toxin concentration. PSP and other naturally occurring biotoxins are not destroyed by cooking or freezing. Crab meat is not affected, but “crab butter” and crab entrails can harbor biotoxins so they should always be discarded. Molluscan shellfish include clams, mussels, oysters and scallops. 

PSP biotoxin can cause severe illness and death.  Symptoms include numbness and tingling of lips and tongue, which may begin within minutes of eating toxic shellfish or may take an hour or two to develop. Symptoms may progress to tingling of fingers and toes and then loss of control of arms and legs, followed by difficulty in breathing. Some people feel nauseous or experience a sense of floating. If a person consumes enough toxin, muscles of the chest and abdomen become paralyzed, including muscles used for breathing, and the victim can suffocate. Death from Paralytic Shellfish Poison has occurred in less than 30 minutes. 

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Health - Public Health News

Why Does Terrell Creek Stink?

Posted on: November 1, 2023

Upcoming Care-a-Van Vaccine Clinics

Posted on: June 26, 2023