Newsflash

Health - Public Health News

Posted on: October 5, 2023

Shellfish Biotoxin Closure lifted in parts of Whatcom County

Paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) biotoxin levels have dropped in shellfish on northern Whatcom County beaches. In response, the Washington State Department of Health (DOH) lifted the recreational biotoxin closure for all species from Gooseberry Point north to the Canadian border including all of Point Roberts.  

In addition, harvesting remains closed to butter and varnish clams only from southeast Lummi Island and Bellingham Bay to the Skagit County line, including Portage Bay, Chuckanut Bay and Larabee State Park.   

Biotoxin levels can change rapidly. Shellfish harvesters are advised to “Know Before You Dig.” Always check for current biotoxin and pollution closures at the DOH website: https://fortress.wa.gov/doh/biotoxin/biotoxin.html or call the DOH Biotoxin Hotline at 1-800-562-5632 before harvesting shellfish anywhere in Washington State. 

Molluscan shellfish include clams, mussels, oysters and scallops. Algae that contain marine biotoxins cannot be seen and must be detected by laboratory testing. During a biotoxin event, mussels and varnish clams usually contain the highest toxin concentration. Butter clams and varnish clams often retain toxins long after other species are safe to eat.   

PSP and other naturally occurring biotoxins are not destroyed by cooking or freezing. 

Crab meat is not affected, but “crab butter” and crab entrails can harbor biotoxins so they should always be discarded. 

Whatcom County Health and Community Services will continue to monitor biotoxins in molluscan shellfish. We will notify the public when there is a change in biotoxin levels that may affect public health. 

Shellfish sold in restaurants and retail markets have been tested before distribution and are safe to eat. 

PSP biotoxin can cause severe illness and death. Symptoms include numbness and tingling of lips and tongue, which may begin within minutes of eating toxic shellfish or may take an hour or two to develop. Symptoms may progress to tingling of fingers and toes and then loss of control of arms and legs, followed by difficulty in breathing. Some people feel nauseous or experience a sense of floating. If a person consumes enough toxin, the chest and abdomen muscles become paralyzed, including muscles used for breathing, and the victim can suffocate. Death from Paralytic Shellfish Poison has occurred in less than 30 minutes. 

Learn more about marine biotoxins here:  Marine Biotoxins | Washington State Department of Health.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Health - Public Health News

Why Does Terrell Creek Stink?

Posted on: November 1, 2023

Upcoming Care-a-Van Vaccine Clinics

Posted on: June 26, 2023