All appointees must live in and be registered to vote in Whatcom County, and, if applicable, meet the residency, employment, and/or affiliation requirements of the position. Applications must be submitted to the County Council office. Applications can be completed online, and are available in the Council Office, 311 Grand Ave., Suite 105, Bellingham, Washington, 360-778-5010, or the County website.
BUSSINESS AND COMMERCE ADVISORY COMMITTEE
13 Vacancies –
- One member representing for-profit entities in each of the following industries:
- Internet technology
- Food processing
- Marine trades
- Commercial real estate
- Energy industry
- Two members representing for-profit business entities in any industry, including those listed in subsection C above; and
- Two non-voting members representing the county’s institutions of higher education (Western Washington University, Whatcom Community College, The Northwest Indian College, and Bellingham Technical College).
The committee will advise the Whatcom County Council on issues, including regulations and policies that could impact local businesses, industry, or economic development.
The committee will report directly to the County Council as necessary to carry out the following functions:
- A. Review and provide recommendations on comprehensive plans, regulations, economic development efforts and on proposals which directly impact business and economic conditions in Whatcom County; and
- B. Assist the county and provide recommendations on efforts to improve business conditions, environment and infrastructure; and
- C. Assist and develop recommendations for comprehensive economic development efforts of Associate Development Organizations (ADO) and other issues impacting business in Whatcom County.
- D. Develop recommendations and strategies for ensuring the county applies a client-focused approach to supporting businesses with regulations, permitting, and planning.