FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 17, 2020
Media Contact: Judy Ziels, Deputy Public Information Officer
Phone: (360) 296-3506
E-mail address: [email protected]; [email protected]
Whatcom County Health Department Identifies Two New Cases of COVID-19
BELLINGHAM, WA –The Whatcom County Health Department has identified two new confirmed cases of 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Whatcom County. This brings the total number of confirmed cases in the county to five.
One new case is a male in his 40s. The second new case is a male in his 60s who is currently hospitalized. The case investigation is currently ongoing, but it appears that at least one of the cases has no known contact from a confirmed case.
What you can do
Personal prevention habits are effective for preventing COVID-19 infection. We continue to repeat these important action steps everyone can take to protect themselves.
If you are sick, stay home
- Maintain a distance of six feet from others whenever possible.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands.
- Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces.
- Avoid gatherings of 10 or more people.
- If you are sick and have mild symptoms, stay home and take care of yourself as you would for a cold or flu.
- If you have severe symptoms and need medical care, call your regular doctor first.
- Do not go to the emergency room. Emergency rooms need to be able to serve those with the most critical needs.
- Your health care provider will determine if you need to be tested for COVID-19.
For more information on novel coronavirus
This is an emerging outbreak with rapidly evolving information. Updates will be made as new information is available on the Washington State Department of Health website and the Whatcom County Health Department website. These websites include information for individuals, community organizations, schools and childcare facilities.
Questions for WCHD can also be emailed to [email protected].