What is a G-Certificate and how does a hauler acquire 1 to be “certified”?

A G-Certificate is a certificate or license to legally haul garbage (the “G”) on a commercial basis. It is issued by the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission. The WUTC has a specific application process which includes the submittal of documents, including financials, which are then verified and evaluated before granting a certificate, providing there is a franchise area available. The applicant must prove they are “fit, willing and able” to provide the service of hauling garbage. This process may take up to several months upon receipt of a complete application packet. For more information see the WUTC’s website.

WUTC’s website

Show All Answers

1. Are there other communities in Whatcom County that self-haul?
2. What makes Point Roberts different from the rest of Whatcom County?
3. Who oversees solid waste collection at the Point?
4. What services do state certified collection companies provide?
5. What and where is the Solid Waste Collection District?
6. Don’t we have a “Universal Service” requirement?
7. How many exemptions are there at the Point and how many potential customers?
8. What is a G-Certificate and how does a hauler acquire 1 to be “certified”?
9. Who decides the rates or tariff for curbside collection?
10. When does neighborhood self-haul of garbage and recycling become regulated collection?
11. Is assistance available for self-hauling garbage and recycling?
12. Who operates the Johnson Road Transfer Station?
13. What are the Canadian rules required to haul garbage out of Point Roberts?
14. Is it possible for a Canadian refuse hauler to provide the service, taking the garbage to a Canadian landfill?