Can I have a second home on my property?

Most residential zone districts, through an administrative use permit, allow for either permanent or temporary (i.e. for medical purposes) secondary dwelling units. In order to qualify, the proposed development and property must meet a list of criteria which is specific to that zone district.

For example, the criteria stated for an accessory dwelling unit within the rural zone can be located under Whatcom County 20.36.132 (1) – (13). Please be aware that the minimum lot size for permanent detached units is different in each zone district.

Show All Answers

1. How do I find out the zoning of my property?
2. What does that zone designation mean?
3. How can I find the building setbacks for my property?
4. What is the difference between a legal lot of record and a taxable lot?
5. Can my property be subdivided?
6. Can I have a second home on my property?
7. What is an administrative use permit?
8. What is a zoning conditional use permit?
9. Can I schedule a zoning pre-application meeting?
10. How do I rezone my property?